Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Reconnecting with friends through technology

I got a message today that I was pretty excited about. A close friend of mine from high school, named Erika, found me on my myspace.com network. We were in music together and lived in the same neighborhood.

I know that myspace has gotten a lot of bad publicity. But I am glad to have technology like this that allows us to keep track of our friends all over the country. True, it is not a subtitute for living in community, but it does help one feel connected with a wider circle of friends. Before myspace, I would have had to wait until my 20 year reunion to find old friends.

People my age use sites like myspace mainly to reconnect, while younger people use it for much more. What online social networking group do you use, and how do you use it?

James

0 comments: