Thursday, February 01, 2007

American Idol--thumbs up or thumbs down?

My blogger account was having some problems, so sorry for the delay!

Becki has started recording the American Idol sessions, and I have been watching it really for the first time. Seriously, before this season, I had watched maybe ten minutes of American Idol. I love music, and so I probably would have been draw to the show except for two facts: 1) I have a hard time watching TV at 7:00 PM; and 2) I suppose I at times want to just go against whatever everyone else is doing.

It is actually a pretty entertaining show I have discovered this year. Some of the singers are really good. (I was going to rush to Memphis and try out until I learned that you had to be 28 years old.) But most of the singers they show in the early rounds are truly horrific. I find myself thinking, you cannot be serious about this.

Simon is, of course, the draw of the show. He is usually a jerk, which makes the times that he likes someone very dramatic. We all sigh a sign of relief when he gives the thumbs up.

It is amazing to me how some of the contestants put their whole lives and self-esteem into the collected wisdom of three entertainment people. These guys aren't always right. And however the world looks at us, they aren't always right either. They may give us the thumbs down, but that doesn't really mean anything. Look at that girl who didn't win American Idol but when on to start in that singing movie (you Idol buffs know what I'm talking about).

Those who aren't serious I don't really feel sorry for. But I do feel badly for some pretty good people who get ripped to shreds, like that music teacher. And what does this show show about us? Are we looking for approval and self-esteem from others? Do we delight in seeing others ripped? I will keep watching, but I just wondered about these things. What do you guys think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, American Idol has lots its way. Melissa, my wife refuses to watch the show in the early phases. She says it is to painful. I tend to agree with her. I used last night's show to illistrate to my daughter how never to act about anything--pathatic. These people had their entire self esteem wraped up into getting on a TV show. There "life", their hope for life was getting to go to Hollywood. Well, I'm not sure about you; but, my hope is that I'm going to heaven. My performance in life is important, but my savor paid the price and no matter my success or failure according to the world I'm a succes in God's book. The only book that matters. So, I'll watch the show; but, I feel sorry for all the contestants who think the answer is their "success" in the music industry. Just my two cents.

Steven & Melissa Nored

James Nored said...

Hey bro. Good to hear from you. Yes, when they are really ripping people, I turn off the volume if Gina (our 5 1/2 year old) is watching. I don't want her to be afraid to sing!

And you are right. Our lives should not be wrapped up in someone else's definition of success. Their life is Hollywood? Come on. Paul says in Colossians, "when Jesus who is your life appears . . . ." Christ is our life.

James

Anonymous said...

James, for at least a generation parents, schools, and other authority figures have gone overboard to affirm children's self-esteem. Children are told they “did great” even when their performance is not all that praiseworthy. {Brief sidebar – it seems to me that use of superlatives, like “great,” to describe ordinary things has gotten out of hand. For example: when anything other than God is referred to as “awesome,” we clearly have “word inflation.”}

If I were a betting man, I'd bet most of the people who disagreed with the judges when they were told they had no talent had rarely heard any criticism. And, if you hear consistently that you are a star, who are you going to believe – your parents, teachers, etc., or “a bunch of people who wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the ***.” (An almost-exact quote from someone who auditioned – and was rejected harshly – near the end of the Minneapolis audition round.)

What these folks – well, all folks – need to realize is that true self-esteem comes by accepting at a heart level the truth of John 3:16.

John Miller

James Nored said...

John,

Someone on a news show recently said exactly what you said, that the self-esteem movement had brought about a bunch of delusional kids. Reggie McNeal says that the millenial generation will be the next great generation. They have great self-esteem. But obviously this has its drawbacks.

Matt Smith said...

Have never chosen to watch this show, the only thing I watch on Fox is Prison Break and 24. Though I have American Idol to thank for William Hung!

vintagebee said...

hey james,
i know this is an older blog, but as a past american idol watcher, i wanted to add some input.
i think as a prime-time t.v. show, american idol does well. millions of viewers watch and call in, and millions of people go to these huge auditions to try and get on the show. it also (in my opinion) squeaks by as an actual talent competition. by that's just it; it's a t.v. show. it's a mainstream media, "what are the ratings for tonight?" show.
america is obsessed with competition and about "being #1", and the media feeds on that to make money. Christ is #1, and people have been tricked into forgetting that.
these people who win the show, and even the ones who get kicked off, are just pawns. i mean, producers sit around and come up with the ideas of making a spin-off "loser" idol show. they make money off the "losers". and as for simon being a jerk, he's gotta make his money....sadly, at the expense of others. but then the contestants subject themselves to his ridicule?
i've have stopped watching american idol, mainly lost interest, but i still buy into media garbage...i mean, "entertainment".
i would say all in all, thumbs down, more bad comes out of it than good.
makes you think.....

brandi mashaney

James Nored said...

Brandi,

It's great to have you join us! You have keen insight into the workings of the television industry. Yes, it is all about ratings.

There is some movie I saw that was a parody of American Idol, with Hugh Grant and Mandy Moore. In it, the producers purposefully picked one of each demographic and ethnic type, regardless of talent, to get as big a set of ratings as possible.