I have been hit with several people who are either interested in or concerned with the recent pew research poll. In a sentence, the study finds that Americans are "spiritual," believing in God, but that they are increasingly pluralistic, non-dogmatic, and fluid in their belief systems.
Pew research looks at religious trends in the US across all religious groups. Because this is an election year, their findings are receiving additional. See the findings at http://pewresearch.org/pubs/876/religion-america-part-two.
I'll spare you a discussion about shift from modernism and postmodernism and its relative benefits and drawbacks. The fact is that people are much less concerned about beliefs today, and much more concerned about a practical faith that impacts their lives.
I know that these trends are disturbing to many. Certainly, the Christian faith has core beliefs that we must adhere to. We need to teach our children that, according to Scripture, Jesus is the only way. But we do this through an active faith that impacts people's lives (both ours and others) in the here and now. We will "teach" our children the right way by serving the poor, developing Spiritual practices, and showing them what it means to live under the rule or reign of God.
For myself, I believe that the current religious climate presents tremendous opportunity. Thirty years ago, the culture was secular. Religion was a private matter. And whatever belief system you grew up with, you kept. Now spirituality is in the open. And people are increasingly open to anyone who will show them an authentic faith. My friends, that ought to be us. If people will just give us a hearing, I am convinced that following Christ offers the most hope, the most meaning, the most fulillment, of any faith that is out there.
Here are various news articles, analysis, and reaction to the findings.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25334489/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-06-23-pew-religions_N.htm
http://www.newsmax.com/estrich/pew_research_religion/2008/06/25/107169.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370588,00.html
What do you think of these pew results?
- Homemain page
- Aboutthe author
- Contact ussay hello
- Subscribe to RSSkeep updated!
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(220)
-
▼
June
(17)
- A bit of a bug . . .
- The devestating effects of divorce--how can the ch...
- New Pew Research Poll of Americans Shows Fluidity ...
- New Spiritual Gifts Seminar now Available
- We have a contract on our house in Liberty!
- Young Evangelicals have a surprising diversity of ...
- Consumer Christians and the lack of discipleship
- The solution to classroom space for churches
- Thoughts on Giving
- What Percentage of the Church has what Spiritual G...
- Sunday Reflections on Fatherhood, Tim Russert
- How the Clothes Closet led to a new Bible study
- Who was Titus?
- Thoughts on Shepherding
- A church that voluntarily gave up a $50,000 sign
- The Bush administration and WMD--discounting contr...
- My experience at OC's Quest Lectures
-
▼
June
(17)
New Church Plants
Theology and Popular Culture Blogs/Websites
-
Dolly Parton: National Treasure5 weeks ago
-
-
-
-
-
Powered by Blogger.
Favorite Posts
- Churches in coffee shops and homes a growing trend
- Harvard's New Emphasis on Applied Knowledge is Instructive to Churches
- Young Adults want a lifestyle and authenticity, not religion
- My neighbor asked me to bless his house yesterday
- Exiles-Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
- Christianity is about a lifestyle, not one hour a week
- Emotion in Worship
- Death by Suburb
- The Don Imus Firing--Lack of Redemption or Justice?
- Books That I Have Read in the Last Year
Some Other Blogs & Sites I frequent
About Me
- James Nored
- I currently am a preaching minister, evangelist, and missional leader at the High Pointe Church of Christ in McKinney, TX. I am working towards a Doctor of Ministry at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA, studying missional church, evangelism, and postmodern culture. I give missional church and Spiritual gifts seminars for churches. I have written an evangelistic Bible study for postmoderns (Story of Redemption), New Members class material, and a work on Spiritual gifts. I am blessed with a wonderful wife (Becki) of 13 years and two beautiful daughters (Gina-age 7, Emily-4), the loves of my life.
2 comments:
I agree...we have tremendous opportunities to share our faith by living and communicating that God is apart of our everyday walk. Last week I had the opportunity to pray for someone who is a very slight aquaintence but who told me about her 3 yr old nephew who has lukemia. It just came out in a conversation and I asked if I could pray for him. Wow, did I ever get a YES. Will this person someday become a christian? Only God knows, but I sowed the seed for Him. I leave the blessing and reaping up to Him. James
James,
Thank you for sharing this story. On Sunday I am showing a video about a little girl who has leukemia . . .
Praying for people right there "in the moment" is one of the most powerful things that we can do with people. Physically laying on our hands as we do this creates an experience that is quite profound for many.
Post a Comment