Dennis (our associate minister) and I just got back from having a Bible study with Eloise and James, two new converts. Several times tears came to their eyes as they spoke of the blessings that they have found in Christ.
New Christians bless our lives in so many ways. They have a gratitude and wonder that we long time Christians often do not have. I think of new Christians like Kim Smith, who inspire me every week as they talk in wonder about God and his blessings. My faith is built up through theirs. Thank you to all the new Christians who have taught me so much!
- Homemain page
- Aboutthe author
- Contact ussay hello
- Subscribe to RSSkeep updated!
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(176)
-
▼
May
(32)
- I'm off to Quest and West Texas
- The Dream of Suburbia: Is our home our god?
- Funny Quotes on Marriage From Sunday's Sermon
- Desperate Marriages
- My daughter's last day of school, Memorial Day
- Finding Purpose in Life
- A Horrible Story of Modern Day Slavery
- The Limited Power of Preaching: Can you remember l...
- I'll Be Helping with OC's Lectures (Quest) May 31-...
- The Celtic Way of Evangelism
- John and Ric shared a powerful story in our worshi...
- New Book for Our Starbucks Group--Velvet Elvis
- A good friend of mine is coming in town today
- Better Together: Restoring the American Community
- Books that I have read in the last year
- How big is your house?
- Your Kids--Part of the Next Great Generation
- Missional engagement in suburbia
- My neighbor asked me to bless his house yesterday
- Viewing the church as story, rather than structure
- What I did for Mother's Day for my very special wi...
- The Rise of the Millenial Generation--and unlike B...
- US Divorce rate at lowest lewel since 1970, Cohabi...
- Is coffee unhealthy for you?
- New Christians help us realize how blessed we are
- You won't believe these stats on time wasters
- Who do you want for a friend--Paula or Simon?
- What is the relationship between physical health a...
- Could busyness be an attempt to avoid looking into...
- Reconnecting with friends through technology
- Add James' Blog to your Yahoo News Feed
- Cool Church Website
-
▼
May
(32)
New Church Plants
Theology and Popular Culture Blogs/Websites
Powered by Blogger.
Favorite Posts
- Churches in coffee shops and homes a growing trend
- Harvard's New Emphasis on Applied Knowledge is Instructive to Churches
- Young Adults want a lifestyle and authenticity, not religion
- My neighbor asked me to bless his house yesterday
- Exiles-Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
- Christianity is about a lifestyle, not one hour a week
- Emotion in Worship
- Death by Suburb
- The Don Imus Firing--Lack of Redemption or Justice?
- Books That I Have Read in the Last Year
Some Other Blogs & Sites I frequent
About Me
- James Nored
- I currently am a preaching minister, evangelist, and missional leader at the High Pointe Church of Christ in McKinney, TX. I am working towards a Doctor of Ministry at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA, studying missional church, evangelism, and postmodern culture. I give missional church and Spiritual gifts seminars for churches. I have written an evangelistic Bible study for postmoderns (Story of Redemption), New Members class material, and a work on Spiritual gifts. I am blessed with a wonderful wife (Becki) of 13 years and two beautiful daughters (Gina-age 7, Emily-4), the loves of my life.
3 comments:
I was struggling a bit with some real illustrations for my mother's day sermon. But hearing Eloise talk of her mother and grandmother touched me and have given me some wonderful stories to share.
A reminder to all of us preachers--when you are with people, you do not have to search much for illustrations. The best illustrations come from real life. And people are interested in people.
Agreed. New Christians are so fragile and really can be made or broken in the first few months of conversion.
It's cool that you guys had the opportunity to be there during these first moments to guide and protect.
Marc,
I know that you rank high in the pastoral gift, desiring to help nurture Christians and see them grow in their faith. This is very important. We must not leave people at the baptistry.
We seek to place each new convert into a discipleship group of 3-4 of the same gender following their baptism. We use Greg Ogden's book, Discipleship Essentials. It is good material, but the key is the relationl aspect of the group. People don't fall away if they have some key people with whom they bond and who care for them.
Post a Comment